Phone: 215-649-7395

Modifying a child support order

Like virtually all parents, you want to provide the best possible life for your kids. While there is no substitute for quality parenting time, money is important. As such, you may have a legal obligation to pay child support. Alternatively, you may receive monthly payments from your children’s co-parent. 

In Pennsylvania, the consequences of not paying court-ordered child support are severe. If you fail to pay, you may face jail time. You may also lose your driver’s license or your professional license. As such, it is vital to keep up with your support payments. If you simply cannot, asking a judge to modify the obligation may be the right approach. 

Initial child support 

In the Keystone State, judges take child support seriously. After all, they want to be sure children have enough financial resources to thrive. Before making an initial child support order, judges consider the following factors: 

  •         Each parent’s income and assets
  •         Each parent’s time with the kids
  •         Each child’s needs 

Modified child support 

While the law expects you to stay current on your child support payments, it also recognizes that you may have a change in circumstances that makes payment difficult or impossible. The following circumstances may sway a judge: 

  •         An increase in parental time
  •         An increase in the receiving parent’s income
  •         A decrease in the paying parent’s income
  •         A change in the needs of the children 

Inherent risk 

If you cannot pay child support or have another valid reason for seeking a modification, asking a judge to change your support obligation may make sense. Still, there is some inherent risk in doing so. That is, when you request a support modification, a judge may decide that you should pay more in child support after reviewing relevant evidence. 

Your child support obligation will not last forever. Still, if you cannot make your monthly payments, you may feel overwhelming anxiety. By understanding what it takes to modify a support order, you can make the right decision for both you and your family.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Set Up A Free Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Jenkintown Office
410 Old York Road
Jenkintown, PA 19046

Phone: 215-649-7395
Fax: 215-572-0625
Jenkintown Law Office Map

Philadelphia Office
1500 Walnut Street
Suite 1340
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Map & Directions

Graff & Associates, LLC