As a result of the COVID-19 virus, we have closed our physical offices to protect the health and safety of our clients, staff, and business partners. We remain open and actively working (remotely) for both our current clients and those who may come to need our services. Please feel free to call our main office line at 215-649-7395

Graff & Associates, LLC - Family Law
Helping You Thrive, Not Just Survive
Consultations are free & Confidential

What expenses can child support cover?

Some couples who go through a divorce in Pennsylvania arrive at child support orders after contentious arguments in court. Others are able to negotiate an agreement on the amount and frequency of child support payments between themselves. However, some of our readers may wonder, after the child support order is in place, what expenses can child support be used to cover?

Child support can be used to cover a wide range of expenses. Most people probably think of expenses, like food and clothing, but child support can be used for many other expenses as well. Such expenses can include: medical treatment; entertainment; education; and child care, just to name a few. Most of these types of expenses are considered basic necessities, so the parent who receives the child support payments is justified to pay for such expenses with the funds they receive from the other parent.

When it comes to child support, usually the arguments between a divorced couple aren’t about what the child support funds are being used for, but how much one parent is required to pay. Obviously, this type of disagreement is more likely when the child support is the result of a court-mandated amount, as opposed to an amount the parties agree upon in out-of-court negotiations.

Disputes involving child support, both during the divorce and afterward, can cause a significant amount of tension between two people who are supposed to be focused on the upbringing of their child. When these disputes look like they are going to get out of hand, Pennsylvania residents may want to contact an attorney to get more information about their legal options.